Sticking Doors & Windows
If you’ve observed that the doors and windows in your Northern California home are becoming increasingly challenging to open and close, it’s likely a sign of more significant underlying foundation issues. Sticking doors and windows, in addition to sagging floors, are common symptoms of structural problems, including foundation settlement.
Bay Area Underpinning is a trusted foundation repair company serving homeowners across Northern California, with extensive experience spanning nearly three decades. If you’re grappling with sticking doors and windows, reach out to us today!
What Are Sticking Doors and Windows?
Sticking doors and windows refer to those entry points that are hard to open and close properly. You might need to exert extra force to operate them, or they may become stuck halfway. Frequently, this is accompanied by doors not fitting snugly within their frames.
These are signs of structural issues within your home. The frames may be flexing and bending around the windows and doors, and you might even notice drywall cracks around them, which are significant indicators of foundation problems. Two common culprits behind sticking doors and windows are foundation settlement and damage to crawl space supports. If neglected, these issues can lead to more severe damage to your home.
What Causes Sticking Doors and Windows?
Several key factors can lead to sticking doors and windows, including:
- Foundation Settlement: Uneven settling of foundations can result in uneven floors and shifting interior walls, causing doors and windows to become jammed in their frames.
- Deteriorating Crawl Space Supports: Deterioration of crawl space supports, often due to wood rot, over-spanning, or water infiltration in your crawl space, can lead to sagging floors above, displacing walls and causing doors and windows to stick.
- Water Damage: Leaks and moisture infiltrating door and window frames can cause warping and swelling, resulting in sticking issues.
Incorrect soil compaction, inadequate drainage, and natural soil shifts beneath your home are common factors contributing to foundation problems that lead to sticking doors and windows.
Can You Fix Sticking Doors and Windows?
Certainly, sticking doors and windows can be remedied by addressing the underlying structural problems with professional foundation repair solutions.
How Bay Area Underpinning Fixes Sticking Doors and Windows
We employ various methods to address sticking doors and windows, including:
- Foundation Piers: We install foundation piers to stabilize settling foundations and potentially restore them to their original position.
- Crawl Space Jacks: Our crawl space jacks help repair sinking floors and level walls by offering strategic support throughout your home’s crawl space
- Foundation Drainage Solutions: We enhance foundation drainage using sump pumps and other solutions to prevent moisture-related issues and wood rot that can contribute to sticking doors and windows.
Bay Area Underpinning offers specialized products like our IntelliJack™ crawl space support jacks and SettleStop™ helical piers, designed to permanently address sticking doors, windows, and other foundation-related symptoms.
Why Address Sticking Doors and Windows Issues Now?
Addressing sticking doors and windows promptly is essential for several reasons:
- Foundation problems that cause sticking will not self-correct; they typically deteriorate, leading to escalating repair costs and complexity.
- Sticking can be symptomatic of ongoing foundation settlement, which, if not stabilized, may jeopardize the integrity of the entire structure, posing safety risks and diminishing property value.
- When frames for windows and doors stick, they can be damaged, which further compromises the building envelope, potentially allowing for water ingress and the deterioration of other building materials.
- Ignoring sticking windows and doors is akin to overlooking early warning signs of more serious foundation issues, which, if unaddressed, can result in expensive and extensive repairs down the line.
Superficial remedies may seem cost-effective in the short term, but they often fail to address the underlying issues, leading to recurrence and, likely, more severe manifestations. Repeated temporary fixes can add up, resulting in higher overall costs.
Bay Area Underpinning offers a long-term resolution to these problems with our expert foundation repair services. Our specialized products are designed not just to fix but to fortify your foundation, aiming to not only stop further damage but in some cases to reverse the effects of settling. This proactive approach can help avoid the recurrence of sticking doors and windows, ensuring that your home remains stable and secure.
Contact Bay Area Underpinning for Solutions to Sticking Doors and Windows
If you’re grappling with sticking doors and windows, allow Bay Area Underpinning to assess your foundation and recommend customized solutions. Our expert team provides permanent fixes to resolve sticking issues once and for all. Get in touch with us today to schedule your free estimate!
High humidity may lead to minor sticking, but severe sticking and jamming indicate underlying structural problems.
DIY foundation repairs are not recommended. In our nearly 30 years of experience, we’ve rarely seen DIY foundation repairs effectively address the underlying issues. While fixing sticking doors and windows might seem manageable, addressing the root causes requires professional assessment and solutions.
Last Modified Date: