Have you noticed gaps between your home’s floors or walls? This early sign of foundation problems should be addressed proactively by a professional. Taking action now can prevent more significant foundation issues in the future.
Bay Area Underpinning specializes in effective solutions, guaranteeing a more robust foundation for your home.
What Are Floor Gaps?
Floor gaps are cracks or gaps that form between the floor and walls within your home. They become apparent when the floor pulls away from the baseboards. Initially, floor gaps may be minor, but they may worsen over time as the foundation problem worsens.
Addressing floor gaps early ensures the foundation regains strength and repairs the structural damage to your home.
Common signs of foundation damage that accompany floor gaps include:
Bay Area Underpinning offers advanced repair solutions to restore your home’s structure.
What Causes Floor and Wall Gaps?
Several factors cause floor and wall gaps, including:
The primary cause of floor and wall gaps is foundation settlement. When the soil beneath your home settles, it cannot support the foundation adequately. As a result, specific foundation areas may experience differential settlement or sinking, resulting in cracks and gaps between floors and walls.
Damaged Floor Joists
Floor joists in crawl spaces can sag due to over-spanning, moisture damage, or wood rot. This sagging causes gaps between the floors and walls, indicating weakened flooring support.
Clay soils expand and shrink with changes in moisture content, causing foundations to rise during wet periods and sink during dry periods. This cyclic movement puts stress on foundations, causing floor and wall gaps.
Can You Fix Floor Gaps?
Repairing floor and wall gaps is possible, but it is crucial to identify the root cause for practical solutions. Patching over the gaps without addressing the foundation problems will only provide a temporary fix.
How to Fix Floor Gaps
Bay Area Underpinning foundation repair experts will thoroughly inspect your home to identify the root cause of the floor and wall gaps. We will then develop a custom repair plan using advanced techniques, such as:
- Foundation piers: We install helical, push, or slab piers beneath settling foundations to redistribute the home’s weight. This technique potentially lifts the foundation and closes gaps.
- Adjustable IntelliJack™ Crawl Space Supports: We install these posts beneath failing floor joists to permanently support and lift floors.
Bay Area Underpinning provides effective solutions to repair your home’s floor and wall gaps.
Why Address Floor and Wall Gaps Now?
It is essential to promptly address floor and wall gaps for the following reasons:
- Lasting Structural Stability–: Promptly addressing floor gaps prevents future structural damage, ensuring the ongoing stability of walls and floors.
- Cost-effectiveness: Promptly addressing floor and wall gaps saves money in the long run by preventing costly future repairs and ensuring a more lasting solution. Temporary fixes often fail, making the problem worse.
- Maintained Home Health Environment: Sealing gaps safeguards your foundation against moisture, mold growth, wood rot, and pest infestations.
- Improved Comfort -: Sealing gaps improves indoor climate control, eliminating drafts and creating a more comfortable and energy-efficient living space.
- Protected Property Value: Promptly addressing foundation issues and closing gaps helps protect your home’s value.
Identify floor and wall gaps early to safeguard your foundation. Contact Bay Area Underpinning for a free inspection.
Choose Bay Area Underpinning for Floor Gap Repair
It’s vital to address floor and wall gaps as potential signs of foundation issues. Bay Area Underpinning offers customized, reliable solutions to stabilize your foundation and address floor and wall gaps.
Safeguard your home and restore peace of mind with Bay Area Underpinning. Schedule a free inspection today to learn more.
Wider floor and wall gaps indicate worsening foundation issues. Schedule a professional inspection if you notice other warning signs, such as sticking doors and windows, cracked drywall, or uneven floors.
Floor and wall gaps caused can be repaired quickly, typically within 1-2 days. However, floor and wall gaps caused by severe foundation damage may require 1-2 weeks to repair, as foundation repair and stabilization first must be completed.
DIY quick fixes such as caulk or foam temporarily relieve floor and wall gaps caused by foundation damage but do not solve the underlying problem. To permanently fix these gaps and restore structural stability, professional foundation repairs are essential.
Last Modified Date: