Smooth, even concrete surfaces are crucial to your home’s safety and appearance. Cracking and sinking concrete sidewalk slabs, on the other hand, present numerous hazards.
These cracks can result from many factors including fluctuating weather conditions and improper installation. A damaged sidewalk tarnishes your home’s curb appeal and presents potential harm to pedestrians.
Bay Area Underpinning understands the unpleasant appearance and significant safety risks of cracked concrete sidewalks. That’s why we employ our innovative SettleStop™ PolyRenewal™ concrete lifting technology to remedy cracked and sunken sections of concrete sidewalks, ensuring a safe and aesthetically pleasing walkway for your home.
This page will help you understand what causes sidewalk cracks and why it’s important to address the issue promptly with our expert concrete lifting solutions.
What Is a Cracked Sidewalk?
A cracked sidewalk is characterized by visible fractures or splits in the concrete pathway typically adjoining a residential or commercial property.
These fissures can vary in length, width, and depth, impacting the structural integrity of the sidewalk. These cracks are more than just superficial flaws. Cracked sidewalks are unsightly, indicate underlying problems, and pose substantial trip and fall hazards, making immediate attention and repair paramount.
Cracked sidewalks also accompany other damage, including:
Sidewalk cracks can extend and proliferate if left unaddressed, leading to further structural complications and potential liability issues for property owners. Cracks that are left unaddressed can worsen over time as the slabs steadily sink. The concrete pieces become loose, uneven, and raised. This creates tripping hazards and detracts from your property’s curb appeal.
Contacting professionals like Bay Area Underpinning is essential to ensure your property’s safety.
What Causes Sidewalk Cracks?
Sidewalk cracks arise from multiple causes, including:
- Underlying Soil: Settling or erosion of the soil underneath the concrete is a major contributing factor. When the soil—the supporting foundation for the concrete—sinks or washes away, it undermines the sidewalk above.
- Aggressive Tree Roots: Tree roots can push on the concrete from below. As roots displace the soil and grow, they exert pressure on the concrete, causing cracking and lifting.
- Weather Conditions: Extreme weather conditions, such as earthquakes, excessive rain or flooding (pictured here), can wash away the underlying soil. The freeze-thaw cycle causes water to seep into tiny cracks to expand when frozen, then contract, and cause more damage when it melts.
- Improper Installation: Cracks can form if the concrete isn’t given adequate time to cure, if there is insufficient reinforcement, or if the base layer is unstable.
The same elements causing damage to the sidewalk can simultaneously compromise your home’s foundation. It’s essential to discern the underlying cause of the crack to render a long-lasting solution effectively, thus preventing recurrent damage.
Can You Fix a Cracked Sidewalk?
Yes, cracked sidewalks can be fixed, but a comprehensive solution is vital to address the problem effectively.
It’s important to note that as cracks worsen, the type of repair is limited, making prompt action critical.
Be aware that DIY fixes available at big-box stores rarely suffice. Simply patching cracks with cement or mudjacking only camouflages the symptoms. The factors causing the underlying cracks still need to be addressed.
For reliable, long-term sidewalk repair, contact the professional concrete repair experts at Bay Area Underpinning.
We offer whole-home solutions that go beyond superficial repairs, tackling the root cause of the issue to prevent future recurrences. Our proprietary PolyRenewal™ process can lift, stabilize, and restore sunken, cracked concrete sidewalk slabs.
How to Fix a Cracked Sidewalk
Bay Area Underpinning uses an advanced process called PolyRenewal™ to fix cracked and uneven sidewalks. Here is how it works:
- Perform a thorough evaluation, pinpointing the factors causing the cracks and determining the ideal solutions like PolyRenewal™.
- Drill small, penny-sized openings into the affected areas.
- Insert injection ports into the holes.
- Blend together our proprietary two-part polymer foam.
- Pump the foam underneath the sunken slabs through the ports.
- The foam expands rapidly, filling voids, and hardens in 15 minutes.
- The sidewalk slab is lifted and the soil underneath is stabilized.
- Remove the injection ports and patch the drilled holes.
- Seal all cracks and joints to prevent future water damage.
- Check periodically and maintain the sidewalk to maximize durability.
Engineered to lift sidewalks quickly and precisely, our proprietary polyurethane foam is customized to your unique needs, ensuring an effective, long-lasting, and superior solution. PolyRenewal™ outperforms mundane mudjacking, is far less disruptive than total slab replacement, and will not wash away or shift.
Why Address Sidewalk Cracks Now
It’s important to repair cracked, uneven sidewalks promptly for many reasons:
- Prevent Accidents: It’s dangerous to leave raised sections that could cause someone to trip and fall.
- Avoid Legal Liability: Cracking, dangerous sidewalks can result in liability issues.
- Long-term Cost Efficiency: Issues causing the cracks can worsen over time, leading to expensive repairs, such as full sidewalk replacement, if left unaddressed. Early professional repairs prevent costly future damages.
- Maintain Property Value: Cracked sidewalks drag down curb appeal, making it difficult to sell your home. Homebuyers want problem-free walkways.
To fully address cracked sidewalks, choose Bay Area Underpinning and our proprietary, professional solutions developed with unparalleled benefits surpassing any other options.
Contact Bay Area Underpinning for Reliable Concrete Lifting Solutions
Don’t let damaged sidewalks continue. Eradicate the risks and unsightliness of cracked sidewalks with Bay Area Underpinning. Our groundbreaking solutions ensure the longevity and aesthetics of your sidewalks.
Our experienced team has been helping homeowners throughout Northern California restore their properties’ concrete. As the region’s trusted concrete lifting provider, people know they can count on our excellent customer care and innovative repairs. Contact us today for a free, no-obligation inspection, and let us restore the safety and beauty of your property!
Bay Area Underpinning’s PolyRenewal™ process is superior to traditional concrete lifting methods, such as mudjacking. Our proprietary polyurethane foam is customized to your unique needs, ensuring an effective, long-lasting, and superior solution. PolyRenewal™ is far less disruptive than total slab replacement, and it will not wash away or shift over time.
The PolyRenewal™ process is quick and efficient. The foam expands rapidly, filling voids and hardening in just 15 minutes. After the repair is complete, you can use your sidewalk immediately. This means minimal disruption to your daily life.
Cracked sidewalks can result from several factors, including underlying soil issues, aggressive tree roots, extreme weather conditions, and improper installation. Bay Area Underpinning has the expertise to address all types of sidewalk cracks. Our comprehensive solutions tackle the root cause of the issue, ensuring that the cracks do not return.
Last Modified Date: