Cracked Pool Deck
A swimming pool is a perfect way to relax, unwind, and enjoy quality time with loved ones. But this area can quickly become dangerous if the surrounding concrete is damaged.
Cracked pool decks not only diminish the visual appeal of your home but also pose significant safety hazards. Bay Area Underpinning understands the urgency of resolving such matters.
With a wealth of experience in concrete lifting, we specialize in providing sustainable solutions to safeguard your home against the detrimental effects of cracked concrete, ensuring the longevity and safety of your property.
This page explains the reasons behind a cracked concrete pool deck and how Bay Area Underpinning uses advanced methods like SettleStop™ PolyRenewal™ to restore the integrity of your pool deck with precision and reliability.
What Is a Cracked Pool Deck?
A cracked pool deck refers to fissures or splits in the concrete slabs surrounding an in-ground swimming pool.
These fractures can range from minor, superficial cracks to severe breaks that compromise the stability of the pool deck. Such cracks tarnish the aesthetic value of your pool area and are hazardous, leading to tripping accidents and injuries.
Cracked pool decks allow water intrusion, leading to further deterioration of the concrete, mold growth, structural instability, and diminished appearance.
A cracked pool deck may also be accompanied by other problem signs, including:
- Concrete pitting, flaking, and staining
- Cracked driveway
- Cracked sidewalks
- Cracked concrete patio
- Sinking porch
- Sinking concrete steps
These problems worsen with time, creating more significant hazards and expensive repairs. It’s crucial to contact a local concrete lifting professional like Bay Area Underpinning when you notice these issues.
What Causes a Cracked Pool Deck?
Cracked pool decks typically result from a variety of factors, including:
- Settling Soil: The ground underneath the pool deck can settle unevenly over time, causing the concrete to sink and crack. This may happen if the soil was not properly compacted before the concrete pool deck was poured.
- Soil Erosion: Water carrying chemicals, flowing from the pool deck, can erode the soil beneath and create voids, causing cracking and sinking.
- Tree Roots: Aggressive tree root systems growing under the deck can displace the underlying soil and push up sections of concrete.
- Weather: Over saturation of the soil from heavy rain or flooding can cause it to compact or wash away, disturbing the support for the concrete deck. Conversely, drought conditions can also cause soil to shrink and pull away from the pool deck, creating voids and causing the concrete to sink or crack.
- Earthquakes: In California, earthquakes are a common occurrence and can have a significant impact on the stability of your pool deck. The shifting and shaking of the ground can cause the concrete to crack and move, leading to misaligned slabs, tripping hazards, and potential damage to the pool itself.
- Original Installation Issues: Mistakes when pouring the concrete and issues with the curing process can lead to cracks and structural defects.
Sometimes, a combination of these factors results in the cracking and sinking of pool decks.
The same soil stability issues that damage pool decks can also impact the home’s foundation, requiring immediate attention and resolution by professionals to prevent the escalation of damage.
Can You Fix a Cracked Pool Deck?
Absolutely! Fixing a cracked pool deck is crucial.
However, the right solution involves more than just patching cracks or applying an overlay. DIY repairs and traditional methods like mudjacking become time-consuming, expensive, and don’t address the root of the problem.
A comprehensive solution addressing the entire home is imperative for lasting results. A holistic approach ensures that the underlying causes are tackled, preventing future occurrences and maintaining the structural integrity of your property.
At Bay Area Underpinning, we use specialized techniques to stabilize, and lift cracked and settled sections of pool decks. Our exclusive PolyRenewal™ polyurethane foam injection process gently raises sunken concrete and provides lasting support.
How to Fix a Cracked Pool Deck
Bay Area Underpinning’s expert team follows these steps to thoroughly repair your pool deck:
- Inspection: Our team thoroughly examines your pool deck to identify what factors are causing the concrete damage. We determine the ideal lifting points and repair plan.
- Drill Holes: Small, penny-sized openings are drilled into the affected areas of the sunken concrete.
- Place Injection Ports: Custom injection ports are inserted into each hole to allow access underneath the slab.
- Mix Foam: We blend the two proprietary components of our high-density polyurethane foam.
- Inject Foam: The foam is pumped beneath the concrete through the injection ports.
- Foam Expansion and Slab Lifting: The foam rapidly expands underground, filling voids, and hardening within 15 minutes. This lifts the concrete slab gently back into place as the foam cures.
- Remove Ports: We remove the injection ports and patch the access holes.
- Seal Cracks: All cracks and joints are sealed to prevent future water intrusion.
- Ongoing Care: Periodic maintenance helps maximize the durability of your repaired pool deck.
Bay Area Underpinning’s process addresses the symptoms and root causes of pool deck damage for long-lasting repairs. Our proprietary products are specifically designed to address your unique needs, offering superior, personalized solutions that outperform conventional remedies available in the market.
Why Address Pool Deck Cracks Now
It is crucial to repair pool deck cracks, unevenness, and other damage as soon as they appear for several reasons:
- Prevent Further Damage: Existing damage will spread over time without proper repairs. Small cracks allow water penetration that damages the steel rebar inside and expands cracking. However, addressing cracks at their first sign prevents escalation and additional costs.
- Safety: Cracking and uneven concrete around the pool presents a safety hazard for pool users, but effective repairs eliminate tripping hazards and potential injuries.
- Avoid Expensive Repairs: The further damage occurs, the more extensive repairs will be. It is less expensive to fix minor issues now than completely replace the pool deck later.
- Enhance Property Value: Cracks and deterioration negatively impact the appearance of your backyard oasis, but quick repairs maintain aesthetic appeal and structural integrity.
To rectify cracked pool decks fully, trust Bay Area Underpinning and our specialized, proprietary solutions, developed with unrivaled precision and effectiveness, surpassing standard products.
Contact Bay Area Underpinning for Reliable Concrete Pool Deck Lifting Solutions
Don’t let your pool deck turn your home into a hazardous area. Preserve and protect the beauty and safety of your home with Bay Area Underpinning. Our expertise in concrete lifting ensures sustainable solutions to all your cracked pool deck problems. Contact us today to schedule your free, no-obligation inspection, and let us restore the stability and elegance of your property.
Homeowners throughout Northern California have trusted us with their pool deck safety and repair. We are eager for you to experience excellence, too. Rely on our unmatched customer care and innovative PolyRenewal™ solution for lasting protection.
Absolutely. Even the smallest cracks can allow water to seep in, which can lead to significant structural damage over time. This can include further cracking, sinking, and even potential damage to the pool itself. It is important to address these small cracks as soon as possible to prevent more serious and costly damage in the future.
The cost of repairing a cracked pool deck with our PolyRenewal™ method can vary depending on several factors, such as the size and severity of the cracks, as well as any other underlying issues that may need to be addressed. We offer free inspections and estimates, so please contact us to schedule an appointment, and we will provide you with an accurate and discuss in detail our financing options.
The length of time it takes to repair a pool deck with our PolyRenewal™ method will depend on the extent of the damage and the size of the area being treated. However, one of the benefits of our method is that it is faster and less invasive than traditional repair methods. In most cases, the repair can be completed in one day, and you will be able to use your pool deck again shortly after the repair is completed.
Last Modified Date: