Cracked Concrete Patio
A patio is meant to be a relaxing outdoor oasis, but it can quickly become an unattractive hazard without proper attention and protection.
A cracked concrete patio presents safety risks like tripping hazards and may signify other damage throughout your home.
Bay Area Underpinning understands the critical nature of these problems and offers specialized, practical solutions to address them. We’re committed to restoring the safety and appearance of your home through our professional services and innovative concrete lifting solutions like SettleStop PolyRenewal™, ensuring that your patio remains a secure and pleasant space for you and your family.
This page guides you through the causes and problems associated with cracked concrete patios and how professional solutions restore your home and peace of mind.
What Is a Cracked Concrete Patio?
A cracked concrete patio is a surface typically in your backyard that has developed fractures, lines, or breaks over time, diminishing its appearance and structural strength.
These cracks can range from minor, superficial ones to deep, extensive damage, posing a severe safety hazard by creating tripping points. Cracked and uneven patios provide access points for insects, weeds, and debris. They can facilitate water accumulation that furthers the deterioration process.
Along with a cracking patio, you may also notice similar concrete problems throughout your property, including:
The longer it goes unrepaired, the more severe the damage will become. Contact a local professional for repair assistance when you notice these problems. Bay Area Underpinning provides a comprehensive approach to diagnose the extent and cause of the damage, ensuring an effective and lasting repair.
What Causes a Cracked Concrete Patio?
Cracked concrete patios stem from a multitude of reasons:
- Settling Soil and Erosion: If the soil underneath a concrete patio shifts or washes away, it causes sinking and instability in the concrete above. This can create cracks from uneven concrete settlement. Dry soil, pictured here, also cannot properly support the concrete above.
- Weather Conditions: Excessive rainfall, drought, or flooding can exacerbate soil erosion, especially on properties with expansive clay-based soil. Freeze-thaw cycles also can cause the water in the concrete to freeze, expand, and create cracks.
- Tree Roots: As tree roots growing underneath or next to a patio expand, they can push against the concrete and cause cracking and upward heaving.
- Installation Problems: Mistakes made while pouring the concrete or issues during the curing process can cause inherent weaknesses, instability, and cracking.
The same soil movement problems that damage patios can also impact a home’s foundation. It’s essential to address them promptly. Recognizing these underlying issues is crucial for implementing a suitable repair solution.
Can You Fix a Cracked Concrete Patio?
Yes, fixing a cracked concrete patio is possible. Repairing the area at the first sign of trouble is important, as significant damage limits viable repairs.
However, it takes more than just filling the cracks with concrete filler, mudjacking, or other patchwork fixes. These temporary solutions do not address the root of the problem.
Reliable concrete repair requires professional equipment and techniques. A comprehensive whole-home solution that tackles the underlying causes is essential for enduring results.
Bay Area Underpinning offers holistic solutions, including our innovative PolyRenewal™ concrete lifting system, that rectify the visible damages and address the contributing factors to prevent recurrence.
How to Fix a Cracked Concrete Patio
Bay Area Underpinning uses advanced methods to lift and stabilize cracked concrete patios. Our process includes:
- Damage assessment with a free and thorough inspection
- Drilling small holes into affected patio sections
- Placing injection ports in the holes
- Mixing a two-part, closed-cell polyurethane foam
- Injecting the foam underneath the patio
- Foam expansion to lift the concrete
- Foam curing within 15 minutes
- Filling and smoothing the drilled holes
- Sealing cracks to prevent further damage
- Monitoring and maintaining the concrete patio for ongoing protection
We understand every home is different. Our proprietary line of solutions, including PolyRenewal™, is personalized to your specific issues, outperforming the conventional methods and products.
Why Address a Cracked Concrete Patio Now
It’s important to repair a cracked, sunken concrete patio right away for several reasons:
- Worsening Safety Hazards: Uneven slabs and cracks create tripping risks. These safety issues increase as the patio’s concrete continues to drop and split.
- Additional Damage: Without fixing the soil issues, erosion and ground movement will continue to fracture and sink the patio further over time.
- Water Risks: Cracks allow water under the patio, accelerating erosion. This water penetration can also seep toward the foundation.
- Pest Access: Cracks let insects and weeds take root under the concrete. Rodents may even follow the openings into your home.
- Aesthetic Issues: A cracking, uneven, and damaged patio makes your property look bad.
- Diminished Property Value: Damage and an unkempt appearance decrease your home’s value and deter potential buyers.
Addressing cracked patios promptly with professional services like ours ensures lasting solutions compared to temporary fixes. Bay Area Underpinning and our proprietary solutions can fully manage your cracked concrete patio issues. Our products are developed with superior technology to offer optimal results, outshining generic products from big-box stores.
Contact Bay Area Underpinning for Reliable Concrete Lifting Solutions
Your home is your haven, and you deserve a safe and attractive patio you can enjoy for many years. Trust Bay Area Underpinning to bring back the integrity of your concrete patio. Our concrete lifting solutions are designed to offer reliable and enduring results.
Homeowners in Northern California have relied on us because of our innovative repairs, attention to detail, and unbeatable customer care. Contact us today for a free, no-obligation inspection. Allow our experts to provide the right solutions to restore your patio’s functionality and aesthetics.
Yes, if left unattended, small patio cracks can widen and deepen, leading to significant structural issues. Concrete patio damage, while not directly connected, may signal the need for foundation repair. Immediate inspection and repair are crucial. Contact Bay Area Underpinning to schedule your free inspection when you notice cracks in your concrete patio and elsewhere in your home.
The polyurethane foam injection process typically requires a few hours. After the foam is injected under the concrete, it cures within 15 minutes.
The cost of repairing a cracked concrete patio depends on several factors, including the size of the area to be repaired, the extent of the damage, and the specific repair method used. At Bay Area Underpinning, we provide a free, no-obligation inspection to assess the damage and provide you with an accurate cost estimate. Our goal is to offer reliable and cost-effective solutions that meet your needs and budget with financing opportunities.
Last Modified Date: