What Are Professional Home Foundation Inspections?
How Are Professional Home Foundation Inspections Done?
The foundation repair contractor or structural engineer will also perform a floor level survey to see if there’s any differential settlement. Differential settlement happens when part of the foundation sinks into the soil. See and the below graphic for more information.
When To Get a Foundation Inspection
- A natural disaster such as an earthquake, flood, hurricane, etc. Also, sinkhole activity and mudslides.
- The home was hit by something. For example, a big truck.
- Horizontal wall cracks
- Ceiling cracks – Watch for cracks across the ceiling and down a wall.
- Wet basement
- Bowed basement walls, with or without cracking
- Uneven floors
- Floor cracks – Look for wall-to-wall floor cracks. Cracks limited to one tile were probably caused when something fell on the floor.
- Large diagonal cracks
- Doors and windows that don’t open and close properly
- Pooled water around the foundation
- Stair step cracks in brick or masonry