Wall cracks are something many homeowners have to deal with, but how do you know if that crack is more than “just a crack”? Many homes, over time, become old and wall cracks can occur from aging. Is there a way to know though if the wall crack at your home needs to be fixed or is just from being an old home? It is difficult to tell if a wall crack needs repair or not, but we can provide you with a few types and how they look so you can get an idea if you are in need of repair or not. These wall cracks could be the initial stages of potential foundation failure. It is important to inspect your home and walls to find any cracks or other signs of foundation failure early on. As you inspect your cracked walls, note the different types and sizes of the cracks. Each type of crack indicated a certain thing such as:
- Horizontal and separation crack lines could be signs that there is a more drastic problem and if you see these types of cracks, you should call for help.
- If the cracks are vertical and start at the bottom of the floor and go up then it was most likely from the foundation settling after construction. This is not what you would like to see.
- When the crack or cracks go up the same way the drywall is hung normally, this makes them less severe.
- If the crack is vertical or runs a 45-degree angle, it may mean that there is a more serious problem like water damage or a shifting foundation.
- Stair-step cracks are cracks that look like actual steps going up your wall just like the name says. The crack runs generally along the grout or cement lines between the cinder blocks. One of the most common reasons for stair-step cracks is from moisture in the cinder blocks or moisture under the foundation freezing. This makes the foundation expand and lift. After the frost melts it makes the wall drop.
Sadly, there is no way to tell if the crack is severe or not unless you have an inspection done by a professional. The professionals at Bay Area Underpinning can inspect your cracked walls and determine if you are having foundation failure. Other signs we will look for are:
- Leaning chimney
- Sticking or misaligned doors or windows
- Sloping or uneven floors
- Bowing or leaning walls
- Cracks in floors
- Porch or stoop pulling away
If we find that you are in need of foundation repair, we have the solutions for you.
Wall Crack Solutions for the Bay Area in California
At the first sign of wall cracks or any of the other signs listed above, it is time to contact a specialist in foundation repair. Bay Area Underpinning has the products and solutions for your foundation repair in the Bay Area. We use steel push piers and helical piers for underpinning to lift and stabilize your foundation back to its original level.
These piers are driven deep into the soil until they reach a more stable bedrock. Each pier is individually load tested to ensure that they can withstand the structure. Our underpinning products are manufactured by Earth Contact Products (ECP), the best in the industry.
Don’t ignore any of the signs of foundation failure. The foundation of your home is the most important part of the home as it holds the entire structure in place. With the experience of the professionals at Bay Area Underpinning and with the best products on the market, you can be assured that your foundation repair will last for years to come. We take pride in the reputation we have built in the Bay Area and we intend to keep it that way. Our employees are professionally trained. Our office is in Vallejo, CA but we serve the entire Bay Area for foundation repair and waterproofing. Don’t hesitate, contact us today.